Fans Vote Iron Maiden's 'The Number of the Beast' Best British Album of the Last 60 Years
Music retailer HMV recently ran a poll to determine the best British album of the past 60 years. The poll coincided with the Queen's diamond jubilee, which celebrates 60 years on the throne.
While the competition was undoubtedly stiff — The Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road and Led Zeppelin IV just to name a few — it was metal band Iron Maiden that took home top honors, earning just over 9% of the vote for their 1982 classic, The Number of the Beast.
We’re astonished and delighted," said singer Bruce Dickinson. "Some of the most influential and classic albums from the last 60 years were in the running, so it’s a testament to our incredibly loyal and ever-supportive fans.”
The full top ten are:
1. Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast (9.2%)
2. Depeche Mode: Violator (6.3%)
3. The Beatles: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (5.7%)
4. The Beatles: Abbey Road (5.6%)
5. Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon (5.2%)
6. The Beatles: Revolver (4.0%)
7. Queen: A Night at the Opera (3.9%)
8. Oasis: (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? (3.9%)
9. Adele: 21 (3.1%)
10. The Beatles: White Album (2.6%)
You Might Also Like...
5 hours 12 min ago
November 2014 Guitar World: Jeff Beck and Billy Gibbons Team Up, Eddie Van Halen and MXR Pedals, Crown the Empire, Weezer and More6 hours 1 min ago
Tedeschi Trucks Band, Taj Mahal and Jerry Douglas Perform "Leaving Trunk" Backstage at Beacon Theatre — Video6 hours 33 min ago
8 hours 16 min ago
8 hours 44 min ago
9 hours 12 min ago
Guitar World DVD: Learn '30 Hot Country Licks' in Styles of Brent Mason, Danny Gatton, James Burton and More9 hours 18 min ago