Tour Tips: Five Essential Ways to Sleep in the Van
Massachusetts post-rockers Caspian have been road-dogging in support of their new EP, Hymn for the Greatest Generation. They've also been compiling a few essential survival tips for the touring musician. In this first installment, guitarist Erin Burke-Moran breaks down the five key sleeping positions you need to master ... when you're crammed into a van with a bunch of dudes.
"Getting rest in the van can be an interesting chore," says guitarist Erin Burke-Moran. "Especially when your van is 1/10 the size of a tour bus. Here are five ways to position your body to get some sleep in the van."
01. The Squeeze: "The most common solution is 'The Squeeze.' Getting into the fetal position is easy. Warning: This position may cause numb bum."
02. On The Floor Method: "Pull up some carpet; this method provides space for another person to sleep on the bench. Make sure to keep the van clean for this one or you'll wind up sleeping in a pile of candy bar wrappers and baguette crumbs."
03. Escape From Milan: "After a show on the recent HIM tour, we were chased out of Milan by gangsters who were most certainly going to rob us. When we finally crossed the border into Switzerland we stopped at a rest stop to get some sleep in the van. Our sound guy slept like this with his jacket over his head. Very effective."
04. The Reversy Percy: "Scotland has a gummy candy called Percy Pig. They’re delicious. If you eat too many you end up sleeping like this. Don’t ask me why."
05. When You’re 6’ 7" It Is Simply Impossible to Sleep in the Van, At All, Ever: "Phil [Jamieson], a.k.a. 'Daddy Long Legs,' has a tough time getting shuteye in the van for obvious reasons."