Glenn Danzig, former frontman of The Misfits, is set to release "Devil’s Angels," the first single from his still-untitled upcoming album of covers.
On the album, Danzig takes on tunes by Black Sabbath, Elvis Presley and several other artists.
“It’s [got] lots of different stuff [on it],” Danzig told Loudwire. “Of course there’s an Elvis Presley song on there, there’s a Black Sabbath cover … Then I took some old biker-movie theme songs and made them all old punk-sounding or whatever … Just f—ing around, really — just having a good time taking songs and giving them a different life or a different dimension. I just do what I feel like doing, as long as I don’t just cover it, because that’s boring to me. I wanna take it and change it and give it some other kind of thing. Otherwise just leave it alone.”
The first single, "Devils Angels," is the theme from a 1967 exploitation biker film. Danzig discussed his desire to cover the song through a news item posted on his website.
“I’ve wanted to record this song since 1979, and this is exactly the same arrangement I had for it back then, so it pretty much sounds like that late ’70s style of mine,” Danzig wrote. “I’m really happy with the way it turned out; it actually came out much better than I had hoped it would. We’re going to be playing it live on these upcoming shows.”
Danzig's 2012 Tour Dates:
- 05/26 – Irvine, Calif. @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (Danzig Legacy)
- 05/27 – San Francisco, Calif. @ Warfield Theatre (feat. Misfits guitarist Doyle Von Frankenstein)
- 05/31 – Kansas City, Kan. @ Uptown Theatre (feat. Doyle)
- 06/01 – Indianapolis, Ind. @ Egyptian Room (feat. Doyle)
- 06/02 – Detroit, Mich. @ The Fillmore (feat. Doyle)
- 06/04 – Silver Spring, Md. @ The Fillmore (feat. Doyle)
- 06/05 – Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Stage AE (Danzig Legacy)
- 06/07 – Philadelphia, Pa. @ Electric Factory (Danzig Legacy)
- 06/09 – Manchester, Tenn. @ Bonnaroo Festival (Danzig Legacy)