It has been four years since the Indigo Girls released a new studio album.
On June 2nd, their much-anticipated release ONE LOST DAY, will be available on IG Recordings/Vanguard Records.
With the help of visionary new producer Jordan Brooke Hamlin (Lucy Wainwright Roche) and mixer Brian Joseph (Bon Iver, PHOX, Kathleen Edwards), Amy Ray and Emily Sailers have created a landscape of truly original sounds and stories ranging from stark intimacy to bombastic pop and grind.
On ONE LOST DAY, musicality, whimsy, rawness, sadness and joy move through each of the 13 tracks. This theme is especially evident on the first single, “Happy in the Sorrow Key,” written by Amy Ray. “I drew from lyrics I wrote during some of my travels with the IG’s,” Amy said. “I was thinking about the things that keep us weighed down with non-acceptance and a refusal to embrace impermanence and suffering. I don’t think you can make change for the good until you do, so it’s an activist part of me searching for a way to face reality and still have the energy and passion to work for good.”
ONE LOST DAY was recorded in studios in Nashville, TN and mixed at Justin Vernon’s April Base Studios in Fall Creek, WI and at the Parhelion Recording Studios in Atlanta, GA. Musicians Brady Blade and Carol Isaacs from the Indigo Girls’ Beauty Queen Sister returned, along with the Indigo Girls’ touring band. Additionally, Amy and Emily brought in Lex Price (k.d. lang, Mindy Smith), Butterfly Boucher (Ingrid Michaelson, Katie Herzig, Mat Kearney), Fred Eltringham (Sheryl Crow, The Wallflowers, Gigolo Aunts) and Chris Donohue (Dave Matthews, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Robert Plant) to bring a good dose of infectious energy and creativity to the scene.
“We took some chances on the making of ONE LOST DAY, with a new producer, engineer, and various musicians,” Emily said. “Stretching like that felt liberating to me. Each song tells a story of where we’ve been and what we’ve thought about, whom we’ve met, and the travels we’ve had. It is a travelogue on lessons learned and love lived. I’m so glad we brought Jordan Hamlin on board to take us to new musical landscapes for this group of songs. And my relationship with Amy feels further strengthened by the collection of these songs and the diligent effort to make them the best they could be.”
Amy mirrors Emily’s sentiments. “The title sums it up for me,” she said. “This is about the one lost day that rekindled and infused with our spirit to find that making music is just as vibrant and full of passion as it’s even been for us!”
The Indigo Girls will be hitting the road this summer following the release of ONE LOST DAY. Initial dates are listed below with more dates to be announced soon. Visit www.indigogirls.com for updates.
- 2015 Spring/Summer Tour Dates
- 4-12 Philadelphia, PA Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts w/Philadelphia Youth Orchestra
- 4-15 Durham, NC North Carolina Symphony
- 4-17 Newport News, VA Ferguson Center Concert Hall
- 4-19 Cincinnati, OH Music Hall w/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
- 4-25 Huntsville, AL Panoply Festival of the Arts @ Big Spring Park
- 4-30 Pittsburgh, PA Heinz Hall w/Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
- 5-23 Lenox, MA SummerSound Live at Tanglewood Music Center
- 6-17 Grand Rapids, MI Meijer Gardens
- 6-19 Ann Arbor, MI Power Center for the Performing Arts (Ann Arbor Summer Festival)
- 6-20 Dayton, OH Schuster Center w/Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra
- 6-21 Charlottesville, VA nTelos Wireless Pavilion w/Mary Chapin Carpenter
- 6-26 Atlanta, GA Chastain Park Amphitheater
- 7-05 San Diego, CA Humphrey’s
- 7-07 Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theatre
- 7-08-9 Saratoga, CA Montalvo Arts Center
- 7-11 Portland, OR Oregon Zoo Amphitheatre
- 7-12 Seattle, WA Woodland Park Zoo
- 7-14 Layton, UT Edward A. Kenley Centennial Amphitheater
- 7-15 Boulder, CO Chautauqua Auditorium
- 7-18 Eau Claire, WI Eaux Claires Music Festival
- 7-26 Camden, NJ XPoNential Music Festival @ River Stage in Wiggins Park
- 7-28 Vienna, VA The Filene Center @ Wolf Trap
- 7-29 Selbyville, DE Freeman Stage
- 8-07 Indianapolis, IN Indiana State Fair