Hot on the heels of the unveiling of its 2022 Masterbuilt Prestige and limited-edition Annual Collection models, the Fender Custom Shop has debuted another sprawling group of one-of-a-kind electric guitars, the Hot Wheels collection.
A collaboration with toy giant Mattel, the Hot Wheels collection is comprised of a number of Stratocasters and Telecasters, a Jaguar, a Katana, and two Precision bass guitars.
Each of the Fender Custom Shop Hot Wheels models comes with a Hot Wheels strap and pick set as well as a custom Hot Wheels hardshell case, the Hot Wheels die-cast that its associated guitar is inspired by, and a certificate of authenticity.
"Hot Wheels rides have been just as much part of our team's childhood as classic guitars, so getting the opportunity to create one-of-a-kind instruments inspired by some of our favorite cars has been a dream," Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Dennis Galuszka said in a press release.
"Each builder brought their own unique take to the design process, which was influenced by the years of childhood nostalgia and the iconic orange track. The final results are works of art that pay tribute to both Fender and Hot Wheels."
Built by the Fender Custom Shop's team of 11 master builders and five apprentice builders, the 16 models are each graced with fiery, Hot Wheels-inspired paint jobs, and a host of impressive, eyebrow-raising specs.
You can check out photos of all 16 models in the galleries above and below, and a full list of the Hot Wheels collection models below.
- Mod Rod Strat, Dark Blue with Gold Leaf Competition Stripes
- Night Shifter Fretless Precision Bass, Black with Blue Competition Stripes
- Bone Shaker Precision Bass, Flat Black with Bone Shaker Graphic
- Mod Rod Tele, Burnt Orange with Pinstriping by Pamelina H
- Twin Mill Strat, Floral Blue
- Bull Whip Strat, Hot Wheels Chrome Vinyl Wrap
- Fast-Bed Hauler Tele, Taos Turquoise
- Rip Rod Jaguar, Black with Red Competition Stripes
- Night Shifter Tele, Pearl White with Red Competition Stripes
- Deora Strat, Blue Sparkle
- Mad Manga Strat, Magenta Sparkle
- Night Shifter Strat, Hot Wheels Red
- Muscle Bound Strat, Metallic Cadillac Green
- Rip Rod Tele, Hot Wheels Blue
- Bad to the Blade Katana, Black Sparkle with Orange and Teal Green Trim
- Baja Truck Strat, Grey with Mint Green Striping
These are Custom Shop models, mind you, so you won't find them in the clearance rack. Prices for all 16 models run in the low five figure range – from $10,500 on the low end (for the Bad to the Blade Katana) to $16,500 on the high end, for the Night Shifter Fretless Precision bass and Bull Whip Strat with Hot Wheels Chrome vinyl wrap.
For more info on all of the models, visit the Fender Custom Shop's website.